- Q: What is DegreeWorks?
“DEGREEWORKS” is a computerized degree audit program and academic advising tool designed to assist you and advisors in reviewing your degree progress. A Web-based program, DEGREEWORKS re-organizes your transcript chronologically and categorically, easily identifying courses you have completed and what courses you still need in order to fulfill your degree requirements.
- Q: What are the benefits in using DegreeWorks?
DEGREEWORKS will help you:
- Determine what requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree.
- View individual course grades, cumulative grade-point average (GPA), and major average.
- Determine which courses you have taken or transferred, and which ones count as electives.
- View transfer credits, waivers, and exemptions applied toward degree.
- See how your coursework could be applied toward another major, minor, or concentration using the What If option.
- Confirm your academic standing.
- Estimate how many semesters it will take you to graduate.
- Learn the prerequisites and corequisites for courses by clicking on the course numbers.
- Q: When will DegreeWorks be available to the campus?
Our current goal is to start releasing DegreeWorks to the campus in the Summer 2010. We have successfully completed a Proof of Concept and are making great progress toward our proposed date of implementation.
- Q: Who will be able to use DegreeWorks?
Advisors and students both will be able to use the system as an advising tool to better follow the student's progress and determine which requirements are still needed.
- Q: How do I access DegreeWorks?
DegreeWorks can be accessed by navigating to degreeworks.gatech.edu. Once there you will click "Login" located in the top right corner. There you will use your gtID and password to login.
- Q: How is DegreeWorks different from the degree audit program we already have (CAPP)?
DegreeWorks is an advising tool which will produce a much easier to read and user-friendly degree audit. DegreeWorks will give students and advisors better information in selecting coursework and understanding degree requirements. One of the many special features of DegreeWorks is that it will allow advisors the opportunity make approved course substitutions electronically. This will give students a better idea of what courses are still required to complete their degree. Also, because course substitutions are entered directly into the system by advisors, paper and email updates will be greatly reduced.
- Q: When should a student/advisor review a degree audit?
A degree audit can be reviewed at any time but it is recommended to do so at least four times a semester:
- Before registration.
- After registration to ensure courses apply to program requirements.
- After grades for each semester are posted.
- Any time changes are made to a record.
- Q: What if information in DegreeWorks isn't up to date?
There could be many reasons that information in DegreeWorks is not up to date. One is that DegreeWorks may not have been refreshed since a change was made (information is refreshed nightly) to a student record. Second, there could be some paperwork that must be completed. For example, if a grade change is pending, it is possible the form has not reached the Registrar's Office. Check with the Registar's Office regarding information not being up to date.
- Q: Why do I receive a blank window when I click the "Save as PDF" button?
A DegreeWorks audit contains a large amount of information and because of this it will take 15-20 seconds for the PDF to generate. If after 20 seconds your PDF fails to load, please contact the Office of the Registrar.
- Q: Why am I receiving an error when I run a What If scenario?
The What If tool requires that you make a selection in the "Major" field. Failure to select a major will result in error.
- Q: When can i use my DegreeWorks audit?
Use your DEGREEWORKS Audit when:
- Reviewing your progress with an academic or major advisor.
- Creating a list of questions to discuss with your advisor.
- Identifying courses that need to be completed.
- Selecting courses that meet your degree requirements.
- Determining a projected graduation date.
- Choosing a major.
- Deciding whether to add a minor.
- Q: Is DegreeWorks the same as my transcript?
No, DegreeWorks is an unofficial audit of your coursework, as well as an outline of requirements still needed to complete your program of study.
- Q: Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?
No, DegreeWorks is a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned, and in your academic history. Registration and drop/add, are still handled through already-established procedures.
- Q: Can I change a major through DegreeWorks?
No, visit the Registrar's web site for information on changing your major.
- Q: Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?
Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in DegreeWorks.
- Q: Does the DegreeWorks audit show all my courses even if I have taken them elsewhere?
Yes, all courses transferred in from other colleges, taken in the military, on permit or in study abroad should show on your degree audit. Certain courses may not be applied to your major if you have exceeded the allowable number of credits under the residency requirement.
- Q: Why isn't my transfer work meeting a requirement?
There could be two reasons. First, the course did not meet either the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement for use in your program of study. Second, all requirements have been met and this course is simply not needed.
- Q: Why is DegreeWorks not displaying my concentration?
DegreeWorks will not display your concentration until you have declared it using the concentration management tool in OSCAR. Instructions on how to use this tool can be found under the "Demos" section of degreeworks.gatech.edu
- Q: What is the What If feature?
The What If function allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor, or concentration. The What If audit will show you what coursework is required for the new major, minor, or concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.
- Q: Can my advisor see my What If scenario?
Since What If scenarios are not stored on DegreeWorks, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a What If procedure together.
- Q: Is a DegreeWorks audit tied into the Degree Petition Process?
Yes. Please print off an up-to-date degree audit and include that with the degree petition, similar to how CAPP has been included in the past.
- Q: How do I find current degree candidates?
Current degree candidates can be found using the find feature in DegreeWorks. There you will be able to filter students based on the degree canidate code.